Before You Begin
Think through some of these questions to make sure you are prepared to start your internship search:
- What do you want to learn?
- Where do you lack experience?
- What type of experiences would you like to have?
- Are you looking for a paid/unpaid internship?
- Do you have an effective resume?
- Do you have a cover letter based on the type of internship you are looking for?
- Do you know the number of hours you are available to work?
- Are you willing to relocate for an internship?
- You can never start early enough. Internships are competitive and have application deadlines. Spend time researching requirements for applying as well as knowing when the deadlines are so you can get your materials submitted in a timely manner. Ideally you should start searching for an internship about 6 months before you want the internship to take place, especially if you are looking for an internship during the summer months.
- Internships can start at any time. Many internships, however, begin at the start of summer, fall and spring semesters. Start looking at least one semester ahead of when you hope to start your internship!!