Use the following evaluation to take a critical look at it. This can help you to identify and work on problems so that you can make efficient use of a career advising session and resume review. Also consider sharing your resume and this evaluation with someone whose opinion you trust to get more outside feedback.
Overall Impression Score: (poor-excellent) 1 2 3 4 5
- How does the resume look in a 15-second glance?
- Does the formatting work to guide your eye to key content?
- What parts of the resume stand out? (Headings? Job titles? Keywords?)
- Does it appear organized or jumbled?
- If you took any creative risks with formatting, are they working for you or are they distracting?
- Does it look like a template? Does it seem like it represents a real person or does it feel artiﬁcial?
Obvious Career Decision Score: (poor-excellent) 1 2 3 4 5
Is it apparent that you are looking for a speciﬁc type of opportunity?
Clear Contact Information Score: (poor-excellent) 1 2 3 4 5
- Are all these components on resume: name, address, phone number, e-mail address? If you included a website or blog URL, is it employer-ready?
- Is the formatting here working?
- Have you used space efficiently so that this section doesn’t take up a disproportionate amount of space?
Content Score: (poor-excellent) 1 2 3 4 5
- Resume doesn’t include redundant, irrelevant, or vague/general information.
- Have you fully described experiences to connect what you have done to can do for an employer - without having to work to read between the lines? (Remember to use speciﬁc details and active, skill-based language. It can help to underline words or phrases that could be more speciﬁc, detailed, or targeted toward a particular skill set.)
Correct Spelling and Grammar Score: (poor-excellent) 1 2 3 4 5
Any errors? Mark them. Fix them!
Consistency of Formatting Score: (poor-excellent) 1 2 3 4 5
- The resume has same style of fonts and headings, and not too many or too few bullets.
- What elements work well in directing your eye to relevant information on the page?
- Where could formatting be more consistent, more eﬀective in using space, etc.?
- Do you like the font?
After creating your first draft, make an appointment with a career adviser.