What kinds of jobs are there?

MSU hires more than 17,000 students per year as cashiers, computer assistants, food-service workers, graphic artists, laboratory attendants, research aides, tutors, writers and general laborers to name just a few of the types of on-campus jobs. Many jobs require no previous experience while some require more specialized training.
MSU Departments that frequently hire students

Am I eligible to work on campus?

If you are enrolled in a degree-granting program at MSU and registered for the semester in which you would be working, you are eligible to work on campus. You are NOT eligible if: you do not meet registration requirements; you have withdrawn from school, or have been academically dismissed or recessed; or you have graduated.

How do I find positions?

Handshake lists on- and off-campus job openings. The listing describes the duties of the job, hours, rate of pay, and the person to contact. Students are responsible for contacting the prospective employers about their job opportunities. If you have an interest in a department or employer that is not listed on Handshake, you are encouraged to go directly to the department or contact the employer and express your interest.  Here's student employment info for MSU departments that frequently hire students.

How do I apply for a position?

If you have found the position on Handshake, or department website, follow the employer’s directions for applying.  For off-campus positions, contact the employer to find out more information and express your interest. Be persistent–try many jobs. It is a good idea to have a resume that you can give to prospective employers.

What benefits does student employment give me?

When students work part-time, in addition to earning money, they establish a work record, develop discipline, acquire transferable skills and make an important contribution to MSU and/or the community. The experience you gain will be invaluable when you are in the market for a job after graduation.

Will my work be career-related?

Any employment while attending school will give you a clearer understanding of the dynamics of the working world. Employers are also interested in skills students have developed, not necessarily what their job title was. For more information on specific skills employers are looking for check out the 12 Essentials For Success.

Congratulations! You’ve been hired. Now what?

New MSU students hired on-campus must fill out an Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9 Form), with their department and a W-4 Tax Withholding Certificate (from payroll). You’ll need to have a copy of your Social Security Card. If you have never had a social security number, you must go to a Social Security office. The Lansing office is located at 5015 S. Cedar, Suite 150, Lansing MI 48910-5480. If you are an International Student with questions on obtaining a Social Security number please click here for more information.

What restrictions will be placed on my work?

On-campus student employees who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents are limited to working a maximum of 29 hours per week during the regular school year. Students possessing F-1, J-1, and J-2 visas must not exceed 20 hours per week. During semester break, registration week, final exam week, and the summer semester, students (including those with the above visas) can work up to 40 hours per week.

How and when will I be paid?

MSU student employees will earn a bi-weekly paycheck based on rate of pay and number of hours worked. Paychecks are delivered directly to the department for which you work or can be direct deposited into your bank.

For more information on policies and procedures for current on-campus student employees, visit MSU Student Employment’s information available through MSU Human Resources.

Learn about work study - I don’t know what it is or if I have it.