Work for one of Michigan State University’s largest student organizations!
Impact 89FM is seeking an Entertainment Editor This is a paid staff position in the organization, working with a paid staff of approximately 80 students and a volunteer staff of approximately 200 students. Applicants must be current undergraduate or graduate students at Michigan State University.
THIS ROLE STARTS IN THE SUMMER/FALL OF 2023. You will begin training in the Spring semester. YOU MUST BE AN MSU STUDENT DURING THIS TIME, AND NOT GRADUATING UNTIL AT LEAST DECEMBER OF 2023.
- Must be a student at Michigan State University.
- Must have excellent interpersonal, training and motivational skills.
- Must be self-driven, detail-oriented, and highly organized.
- Must have demonstrated timely communication skills. It is expected that email, chat, text or voice messages are returned within 24 hours during the standard work week.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects at a time and meet deadlines.
- Must be willing to work during non-business hours as needed.
- Must be enthusiastic about sharing entertainment, music, pop culture, art, society and culture journalistic content.
- Must be able to effectively train, coach and mentor staff members.
- Must have a good understanding of AP style and editing for the web, as well as familiarity with tracking changes, editing ethics and digital best practices.
- Current staff member at Impact 89FM.
- Familiarity with Impact 89FM’s strategic planning process, including mission, vision, core values, and long-term goals.
- Demonstrated leadership and personnel management experience.
- An understanding of how to use the Adobe Creative Cloud software suite, including Audition, InDesign, Lightroom, Photoshop and Premiere.
- Vision of Impact 89FM’s core sound, as well as knowledge of a wide range of music genres and styles.
- Experience leading and/or being a part of an editorial team.
- Understanding of Impact 89FM’s editorial voice and considerations for selecting stories and content to share.
- Knowledge of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Google Analytics.
- Experience writing web headlines and social media captions.
- Multimedia skills including photography, video, audio, web design, and graphic design.
- Successful related coursework in journalism and broadcasting.
- Prior professional experience in journalism and broadcasting.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
- Organizing and facilitating meetings and workshops for the Entertainment Team.
- Updating social media accounts for the main Impact 89FM socials to promote published content.
- Serving as the primary editor of all published entertainment content, providing feedback to the original author and assigning tasks to the Entertainment Editorial Assistant as appropriate.
- Communicating with Visual Media Director and Podcast Coordinator to produce audio and visual content, including podcasts and videos.
- Working with a group of paid and volunteer staff to plan, write, produce, edit, and publish content as part of the Impact 89FM Editorial Team.
- Implementing editorial decisions made by Executive Board and management staff.
- Covering entertainment, music, pop culture, art, society, culture and related newsworthy topics for broadcast and publication.
- Collaborating with other Editors, Department Heads and Website Director to develop workflows and standards to ensure proper formatting, revision and oversight of all content posted online.
- Assisting in the gathering of entries for state and national competitions.
- Participating in established meetings for departments, teams, and other initiatives as necessary and appropriate.
- Representing the station and assisting with required events throughout the academic year as a paid staff member.
- Ensuring compliance with all Michigan State University and Federal Communications Commission regulations, directives and policies.
- Ensuring compliance with copyright and trademark law, and documenting permission when third-party resources are used in published content.
- Working closely with the Executive Board and management staff to broadcast and publish content that aligns with values identified through strategic planning as well as the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee.
- Participating in office and on-air duties as determined by management staff.
- Ensuring timely completion of personal projects, department projects and station-wide projects using project management system.
- Maintaining all station files and documents in network-based and cloud-based storage systems.
- Filling in where and when necessary to accomplish station goals and objectives.
- Program Director
Salary & Hours:
- Student positions start at $10.50 an hour. There are opportunities for advancement based upon satisfactory performance review.
- This position requires up to 10 hours a week.
Applications will be accepted through March 31st.
Applicants can apply for this position exclusively through the Michigan State University Handshake system.
- Cover Letter
- Portfolio: In your cover letter or in a separate attachment, submit a link to a digital portfolio with writing, editing, or other examples, specifically with a focus on entertainment, music, pop culture, art, society, culture and related coverage.
Address your cover letter to Jeremy Whiting, and make sure your resume is relevant and up to date. Cover letters should be role-specific and properly formatted. If you are applying for multiple positions, please rank them by preference in your cover letter(s). Applicants who fail to meet these standards will not be considered. If you have any questions please direct them to Operations Manager Sam Kurtzman or Station Manager Delaney Rogers.
More information about Impact 89FM | WDBM-FM is available online at impact89fm.org.
MSU Student Radio is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.