Work for one of Michigan State University’s largest student organizations!
Impact 89FM is seeking a Visual Media Director. This is a paid staff position in the organization, working with a paid staff of approximately 80 students and a volunteer staff of approximately 200 students. Applicants must be current undergraduate or graduate students at Michigan State University.
THIS ROLE STARTS IN THE SUMMER/FALL OF 2023. You will begin training in the Spring semester. YOU MUST BE AN MSU STUDENT DURING THIS TIME, AND NOT GRADUATING UNTIL AT LEAST DECEMBER OF 2023.
- Must be a student at Michigan State University.
- Must have excellent interpersonal, training and motivational skills.
- Must be self-driven, detail-oriented, and highly organized.
- Must have demonstrated timely communication skills. It is expected that email, chat, text or voice messages are returned within 24 hours during the standard work week.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects at a time and meet deadlines.
- Must be willing to work during non-business hours as needed.
- Must have familiarity with computer systems and data organization as well as technical troubleshooting skills.
- Must be enthusiastic about sharing visual media content.
- Must be able to effectively train, coach and mentor staff members.
- Must be proficient with DSLR cameras, lenses, lights and associated gear.
- Must know how to post on website, SmugMug, YouTube, social media, and other online outlets.
- Current staff member at Impact 89FM.
- Familiarity with Impact 89FM’s strategic planning process, including mission, vision, core values, and long-term goals.
- Demonstrated leadership and personnel management experience.
Typical Duties & Responsibilities:
- Securing approved Performance / Image Release forms and digitally storing them in Google Drive team drive set up for release sheets.
- Organizing and facilitating meetings and workshops for the Media Team.
- Updating social media accounts for the main Impact 89FM socials to promote published content.
- Implementing editorial decisions made by Executive Board and management staff.
- Leading all activities of the Media Team as its team leader, which includes directing content assignment, mentoring, delegating tasks, training and providing feedback as needed.
- Communicating with and working closely alongside the Red Cedar Log, one of Impact 89FM’s established media partners.
- Assisting in the gathering of entries for state and national competitions.
- Maintaining consistent brand standards through the use of established Impact 89FM voice talent and positioning statements as found in the Station Handbook.
- Maintaining consistent brand standards through the use of established Impact 89FM logos, graphic elements, colors, fonts, and positioning statements as found in the Station Handbook.
- Staying current on photographic content from comparable media outlets nationally.
- Staying current on video content from comparable media outlets nationally.
- Working with the Live Music Director to secure media credentials for events.
- Working with the Department Head to plan out, assign and produce goals for the Visual Media Team.
- Participating in established meetings for departments, teams, and other initiatives as necessary and appropriate.
- Representing the station and assisting with required events throughout the academic year as a paid staff member.
- Ensuring compliance with all Michigan State University and Federal Communications Commission regulations, directives and policies.
- Ensuring compliance with copyright and trademark law, and documenting permission when third-party resources are used in published content.
- Working closely with the Executive Board and management staff to broadcast and publish content that aligns with values identified through strategic planning as well as the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee.
- Participating in office and on-air duties as determined by management staff.
- Ensuring timely completion of personal projects, department projects and station-wide projects using project management system.
- Maintaining all station files and documents in network-based and cloud-based storage systems.
- Filling in where and when necessary to accomplish station goals and objectives.
- Marketing Director
Salary & Hours:
- Student positions start at $10.50 an hour. There are opportunities for advancement based upon satisfactory performance review.
- This position requires up to 10 hours a week.
Applications will be accepted through March 31st.
Applicants can apply for this position exclusively through the Michigan State University Handshake system here.
- Cover Letter
- Portfolio: In your cover letter or in a separate attachment, submit a link to a digital portfolio showcasing your previous visual media work.
Address your cover letter to Jeremy Whiting, and make sure your resume is relevant and up to date. Cover letters should be role-specific and properly formatted. If you are applying for multiple positions, please rank them by preference in your cover letter(s). Applicants who fail to meet these standards will not be considered. If you have any questions please direct them to Operations Manager Sam Kurtzman or Station Manager Delaney Rogers.
More information about Impact 89FM | WDBM-FM is available online at impact89fm.org.
MSU Student Radio is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.