Once you have declared a major it is important to explore careers related to your interests and major, gain experience, further define your career goals and start building your professional network. Below is a list of action items we recommend that you complete during your sophomore and junior years.
- Identifiy career options related to your major
- Attend a career exposure series event to meet alumni working in career fields of interest
- Join student organizations/clubs related to your career goals
- Attend workshops on resume writing, interviewing and the job search.
- Write a resume and upload to Handshake, MSU's career management and job posting system.
- Drop in at Career Services for fast help with resumes, Handshake and your job search
- Attend Career Fairs to gather career information and to find internships
- Build skills through participating in volunteer programs, work, and career-related internships
- Build your professional network
- Conduct informational interviews and participate in job shadows
- Learn more about occupations of interest and research available organizations, corporations and industries
- Begin to research graduate school programs and requirements
- Meet with a career adviser to develop your job or graduate school search strategy