Internship Opportunity Award
Funded by the generosity of corporate, MSU offices, and individual donors, the Internship Opportunity Award provides stipend awards of up to $1,000 each to help cover out-of-pocket expenses related to an unpaid internship. The number of awards will be based on available program funds and demonstrated student interest and need. (Many awards will be for less than the maximum $1,000 award.) Awards are available for undergraduates participating in U.S. based internships only.
Notice: To help ensure maximum awards are available when there is the highest need for student support, the Internship Opportunity Award will be focused on summer internship experiences and no longer be available fall or spring semesters.
Summer 2023 program applications:
- Application submissions tentatively begin in March 2023
- Application tentative deadline will be in early April 2023
(Contingent awards may be available for students who have not accepted an internship offer by the application deadline.)
Recipients will be selected based on the following criteria (subject to change):
- Undergraduate MSU student in good standing;
- Demonstrated financial need (as determined by the MSU Office of Financial Aid and the student essay);
- Internships can be on-site, virtual (remote), or a combination of on-site/virtual;
- Program is not open to students who are: interning with an MSU department; interning internationally; past award recipients; or in a graduate level program
Application Process (subject to change):
- Log in to D2L system at D2L.msu.edu and click on “Self Registration” and then select course option “Internship Opportunity Award”
- Complete and submit the application survey form
- Upload your current resume
- Upload your personal essay (based on the following):
- One page (about 500 words) describing your academic and career goals and how this internship fits into your strategy for achieving your goals. You are encouraged to demonstrate your passion for your internship opportunity, share what you will be doing and learning, as well as make your case for any financial considerations (e.g., out-of-pocket expenses) that are affecting your ability to pursue your internship. If you have not yet secured an internship, describe the #1 priority internship you are pursuing.
- Note: You should receive a confirmation email after completing each of the above actions
Questions regarding the application process, please contact: Bill Morgan at email@example.com