Education and Public Services
Welcome to the Education and Public Services Interest Area. This page has been tailored to this specific interest area and its industry-related opportunities for students and alumni. Explore relevant blog posts, videos, events, and career resources.
People who are interested in education and public service may be interested in careers that serve people of all ages, races, and abilities within a community. Those who pursue careers in education and public service are excellent communicators, adaptable, empathetic, and work well with diverse groups of people.
To discuss career opportunities and how to prepare for roles in this interest area, schedule an appointment with a career advisor through Handshake.
Common career pathways associated with the Education and Public Services interest area include but are not limited to:
- early childhood or K-12 education
- non-profit coordination/management
- social work
- state and local government
- law enforcement
Visit the Career Outcomes page to learn about post-graduation outcomes of MSU students who have received a bachelor’s degree. Search by major to find a sampling of employers, employment locations, and names of graduate/professional schools.
Majors at MSU
While major does not often equal career, it is helpful to have an understanding of majors that are commonly associated with each interest area. Review the list of majors at MSU that are associated with the Agriculture and Environment Interest Area and learn more about majors, degrees, and program requirements by visiting the Admissions website.
Gaining experience outside of your degree program helps you to become career ready. Employers are looking for evidence of transferable skills, and like candidates who have work experience – whether paid or unpaid. Experiences help you to build confidence, explore interests, test out organizations and positions, and build skills while expanding your professional network.
There are a lot of great ways to gain experiences and skills. Many opportunities are available for you right at MSU. Consider the following:
- Volunteer/Community Service
- Internships – such as with a government agency or non-profit organization that supports at-risk populations
- Academic Projects/Undergraduate Research
- Part-time jobs
- Education Abroad
- Student Organizations – Related to Education and Public Services
- Conduct a ride-along with a law enforcement officer
- Work with children through the schools or library
To find organizations and positions of interest within Education and Public Services you can utilize:
- Job Listing and Professional Resource Sites – Review industry-specific search engines.
- Handshake – More than 60,000 job postings are posted on Handshake for MSU students each year. Use a search agent to receive alerts for new employment opportunities that match your specific interests. Follow employers of interest to be updated on their events and job postings.
- Networking – The Department of Labor estimates that up to 80% of positions are ﬁlled without employer advertising. Learn more under Network and Connect.
- Professional Organizations – Join organizations related to Education and Public Services and get recommendations from faculty or alumni on best fit groups.
- Social Media – Follow organizations of interest for up-to-date information on their activity. Popular outlets include LinkedIn, Twitter, Youtube, and Instagram.