Welcome to the Health Sciences Interest Area. This page has been tailored to this specific interest area and its industry-related opportunities for students and alumni. Explore relevant blog posts, videos, events, and career resources.
People who are interested in Health Sciences may be interested in careers that focus on the way that science improves the quality of life for people and/or animals. Those who pursue careers in health sciences are curious and empathetic critical thinkers who are driven to help others.
To discuss career opportunities and how to prepare for roles in this interest area, schedule an appointment with a career advisor through Handshake.
Common career pathways associated with the Health Sciences interest area include but are not limited to:
- public health
Visit the Career Outcomes page to learn about post-graduation outcomes of MSU students who have received a bachelor’s degree. Search by major to find a sampling of employers, employment locations, and names of graduate/professional schools.
Majors at MSU
While major does not often equal career, it is helpful to have an understanding of majors that are commonly associated with each interest area. Review the list of majors at MSU that are associated with the Health Sciences Interest Area and learn more about majors, degrees, and program requirements by visiting the Admissions website.
Gaining experience outside of your degree program helps you to become career ready. Employers are looking for evidence of transferable skills, and like candidates who have work experience – whether paid or unpaid. Experiences help you to build confidence, explore interests, test out organizations and positions, and build skills while expanding your professional network.
There are a lot of great ways to gain experiences and skills. Many opportunities are available for you right at MSU. Consider the following:
- Volunteer/Community Service – such as at hospitals or animal clinics
- Internships – within a lab or research setting
- Academic Projects/Undergraduate Research
- Part-time jobs
- Education Abroad
- Student Organizations – Related to Health Sciences
- Shadow a physician
- Work as a medical scribe or a certified nursing assistant (CNA)
To find organizations and positions of interest within Health Sciences you can utilize:
- Job Listing and Professional Resource Sites – Review industry-specific search engines.
- Handshake – More than 60,000 job postings are posted on Handshake for MSU students each year. Use a search agent to receive alerts for new employment opportunities that match your specific interests. Follow employers of interest to be updated on their events and job postings.
- Networking – The Department of Labor estimates that up to 80% of positions are ﬁlled without employer advertising. Learn more under Network and Connect.
- Professional Organizations – Join organizations related to Health Sciences and get recommendations from faculty or alumni on best fit groups.
- Social Media – Follow organizations of interest for up-to-date information on their activity. Popular outlets include LinkedIn, Twitter, Youtube, and Instagram.